Building a Skills Taxonomy
Impact • 26-Apr-2021
* Alessandro Linary - People Analytics UK Lead, Vodafone
Watch a preview here: https://vimeo.com/tucanaglobal/alessandrolinari
Having an accurate and complete skills taxonomy allows for far more effective workforce planning and sourcing, and can advise strategic decisions across the business. But for a transforming organisation with operations across multiple business units, creating something accurate, adaptable and scalable is no easy task.
At Vodafone UK, they have explored what it takes to build a universal skills taxonomy that can accurately describe every role in the workforce.
Alessandro will present the methodology he and his team have used to approach this mammoth task, some valuable lessons learned so far, and the roadmap ahead.
- For accurate workforce planning, sourcing and internal mobility, it's important to have a clear picture of the skills your organisation has and needs
- In a large and complex workforce, this is no easy task - how can the engine behind the numerous operations and deliveries that your company produces be distilled into a specific and discrete hierarchy of skills?
- Who needs to be consulted in this process, how do you verify the answers you get, and how can you be sure your taxonomy reflects the reality of your global business operations?
This session will explore:
- Why business need a skills taxonomy
- The main technical challenges of building a taxonomy
- Insight into the complexity of building a skills taxonomy for an organisation
- Examples of insights that can be extracted from skills data once it is integrated with other HR systems
- What we have learned so far on our journey
- Things to be aware of when planning your own skills taxonomy
- Advice on the stakeholders you need to involve
- Pitfalls to avoid
- Setting realistic goals and milestones, and what to bear in mind to ensure the long-term longevity of your project.
Up Next in Impact
Workforce Planning for the Future Wor...
* Jordan Pettman - Global Head of People Analytics, Nestlé
Watch a preview here: https://vimeo.com/tucanaglobal/jordanpettman
Workforce planning, at its core, has been executed in a pretty consistent way for about 30 years. So why is it important to refresh our thinking and approach our underst...
Using Predictive Analytics to Support...
* Andrew Papworth - Productivity and Cost Director, Lloyds Banking Group
* Justine Thompson - Head of Strategic Workforce Planning and Analytics, Lloyds Banking Group
Watch a preview here: https://vimeo.com/tucanaglobal/lloydsbank
How Lloyds connected the dots mental health and wellbeing data, ...
The Perfect Match: People Analytics a...
* Patrick Coolen - Global Head of People Analytics, Strategic Workforce Planning and HR Survey Management, ABN AMRO
Patrick will be sharing the best practises of his team while setting up and growing the People Analytics expertise in ABN AMRO. Questions that will be adressed are: How are we buil...